Welcome to September’s report. I can’t believe we’re 3/4 of the way through 2019 already! Christmas is almost here and that’s a bit scary.
For those of you who are new, welcome, I do these reports each month as a way for me to track all of my financials and see how I’m progressing. Each report contains the following sections and you can skip to any of them by clicking the links below.
For last months report see here.
Below is the breakdown of my spending by category as well as the relative % of my total spend for the month.
- Health & Medical consists of my health insurance & medication.
- Utilities includes things like gas, electricity, phone and internet.
- Auto & Transport includes car insurance, petrol, public transport to work, parking etc.
- This month my yearly fees for this website were due.
- Gifts included: 2 fathers day presents (dad/stepdad), dads birthday, donation for colleagues wedding gift and my sisters birthday.
- Personal care was $15 for a simple trim of my hair. I tend to avoid beauty expenses if I can.
I spent $4,245 in September 2018 in comparison. Overall so far for 2019 I have spent $26,851. The same time last year I had spent $32,739 so I am $5,888 ahead for the year so far. I think that’s a pretty good effort! That figure is based on actual monthly spend and doesn’t include any money put towards savings or sinking funds.
Below is the total spend by month for 2019 so far compared to 2018. (again excluding savings and sinking funds).
Savings & Investments
During September I saved $1,553 or 34% of my total spend towards savings accounts. At the end of September my savings account totaled $29,308.
So far in 2019 I have saved $19,687. This is more than the whole of 2018’s debt payoff and savings. I’m so close to hitting $20K, my goal was $25K for the year, but I’m not sure i’ll be able to hit that. Either way, I’m still pretty proud.
The share market took a bit of a hit in July and August but it came back in September and I hit just over $17,000 in my portfolio. In total I saw a return of $336 or 2.01%, and my portfolio totaled $17,075 at the end of September.
Getting close to my next goal of $20,000!
I check my score every month on three major websites: Get Credit Score, Finder and Credit Savvy. My score isn’t really changing very much month to month now which makes sense because I’m not taking on new debt or even paying off debt (since I’m now debt free). My score sits at 741 on two of the sites and 720 on the other. The difference is because they use different credit reporting organisations, two being Equifax and the other is Experian.
My balance as of 09/09/19 was $56,171.
I earned $328 above my usual monthly wage from my job through various sources including:
- Writing jobs via Get a copywriter as well as Freelance work
- Redeeming survey money earnt through PureProfile
- Selling items through Facebook Marketplace
- Recycling my bottles and cans
- Savings account interest from my ING Savings Maximiser account
- Giftcard earnings from the find out your credit score promotion.
How was September for you? I’d love to hear if you saved money or paid debt?
Let me know if there is anything else you want to see in these reports.